WHAT SETS THIS COURSE APART?
In this course you will learn how to create an Alien Creature Rig from the ground up. The class starts with introductions to different parts of the rigging pipeline and on to applying techniques to the character provided. In total this class covers 10 days of full time attention to complete. It was taught as a part of the Bachelor degree at The Animation Workshop. The students work in Maya and end up integrating the character to Unreal Engine. You are expected to follow along and solve your own problems.
74 lectures of Game RIGGING . .Stepped Process
8 lectures of Python Scripting intro. .
Requirements To Enter
- No prior experience with Rigging. This introduction targets the very beginner of Maya.
- 1 year of school experience.
- Willingness to put in the hours and work independently
- The course is in Maya 2017 - Student version will do fine and Can Be Picked Up Here
- 2016 sp2 should be enough.
(An absolute beginner can take this course to hit the ground running)
Master Class Teacher
Producer at Flashbulb Games
Game Producer | Scrum Master | eMBA Student
Bachelor in Computer Graphics from The Animation Workshop, MBA Student at Associates of Visionary Thinkers, Producer, Scrum Master, and the production responsible at Flashbulb Games in Copenhagen.
As an artist, I wrapped up some of the titles below
- Star Wars - Episode 8
- Avengers 2 - Age Of Ultron
- Warcraft - The Beginning
- Guardians Of The Galaxy
- Amazing Spider Man 2
I have worked in Virtual Reality, Commercials, and on-set as a pre-visualization asset builder, in both Pinewood and Leavesden Studios. As a life-long gamer I fell in love with the gaming industry quite early in my career and have worked with games and creative industries for the better part of 10+ years.
Remember Rigging means “problem solving”, in many other parts of the pipeline we have an artistic freedom to disagree and while rigging have an artistic angle - specially when it comes to the deformation - there is still a right or wrong answer to your rig. Does it work or doesn’t it work? Remember its about the struggle and everytime you fail you learn something new.
What If I Want To Use My Own Character?
As in all courses you are most welcome to use your own character at any time. It is actually recommended. There is plenty to learn for the person who wishes to improve their skills drastically.
Pricing & Enrolment Options
The python part of this course will not be put up as a single product. Its included as a BONUS to the people interested in learning a bit of python. The rest of the course is run by the students them selves. They pace however they feel like. Some might have families and kids others have full time to throw at this course, its all possible.
You can download the course on a week by week basic once payment has been processed.
WEEK 1 – Mechanicals
- Parent constraints vs direct parent,
- Orient / point Constraints
- Shapes / joints, understand transform vs shapes
- Nodes Editor / direct connections,
- Why rigging?
- Spine FK
- Tail FK
- Place joints – joint orientation, (clavicle, arms, hand)
- Ik / fk switch Arms,
- Place pole Vector, and talk about correct positioning
- make visual connection strings
- make visibility switch
- Script class for control making
- Legs (Intro to spring solver)
- Scripting class for control making
- After script we make toes and fingers.
- Remember to version up - collapse hierarchy - Do not Freeze,
- Neck + Head
- Feet (FootRoll)
- Place finger joints
- Eye – aim
- Assigning Colors to shaders
- Scripting + color according to side and multiple chains.
- Global controller Connecting rig modules
- Hands / fingers (SDK) Set Driven Keys the right way.
- Full path names,
- Double Rotate Spring Solver Solution
WEEK 2 – Deformation
- Prep proxy model with ZBrush
- Essential theory,
- Skinning tool and the hidden secrets
- More skinning,
- Mirror skinning,
- Adding New Joints
- Making ears
- Copy Skin Weights from Proxy to mesh
- Rig Lockdown
- Helper joints
- Blend shapes,
- Live, (not for unreal engine)
- Brows, lids, FK
- Lip Ribbons
- Strings to Pole Vectors
- Orient switch for tail
- Check if your rig is working + Referencing
- Maya To - Unreal Engine
- Rig presentation,
- Post mortem